We’re looking for a
Data Scientist, Game
- What makes an educational product engaging for children? Is there a way to genuinely make learning fun, finding a balance between an immersive gaming experience and improving your grasp of an academic topic? How do we identify moments of frustration and failure in a student's learning progression through their in-game behavior, and select the most effective gamified intervention for levelling up a student's abilities? Here at Prodigy, our Game team is busy trying to answer these and other similar questions about how to best gamify math. We are working on new and interesting approaches to model our players (i.e., students), specifically in the intersection of learning and gaming. Your work will help us to improve our game and by extension how our students learn. The work we do at Prodigy can help shape a student's learning path early in life, and we take that very seriously and hope you will too.
- Help our Game team better understand how users engage with our product
- Evaluate the quality and impact of game features for current and upcoming products
- Develop and evaluate models related to our game, improving user engagement and the quality of our product
- Help design, execute, and evaluate experiments (e.g., A/A, A/B, multivariate tests) to assist our Product teams in developing our game
Who You Are:
- Graduate degree in Educational Data Mining, Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, Neuroscience, Psychology, Behavioural Sciences, or related fields
- Research-level expertise in analyzing how games and / or how children learn
- At least 2 years of data analytics experience
- Proficiency in Python and SQL (bonus points for R)
- Experience working with machine learning algorithms and / or cloud platforms like AWS
- Ability to oversee and work simultaneously on different projects with a variety of timelines
- Ability to translate data insights into actionable steps
- Love for our mission of helping kids everywhere enjoy learning
Bonus Points for:
- Experience in cloud ecosystems and their data tooling (AWS, GCP)
- Experience with Spark
- Demonstrated ability to solve hard mathematical, algorithmic, and statistical problems
- Significant accomplishments that required both technical and strategic capabilities, such as research projects, open-source software contributions, and entrepreneurship
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to build a career of value and witness first hand the impact Prodigy has as the most engaging math platform in the world!
- A culture of transparency, where team members are involved in important conversations
- No micromanaging here! We believe in our employees skills and abilities, we encourage you to bring new innovative ideas to your team
- Full health benefits from day one (1) for you and your family, fully covered! Nothing is ever taken off your pay cheque
- We are a profitable company, with eligibility to participate in stock options for all employees
- Late or early riser? We understand! We offer flexible working hours that allow you to schedule your 8 hour day with a bit more flexibility. We do have core office hours, to ensure team members can be present for important meetings and department needs. Our core office hours are 10:30am - 3:00pm
- While we operate 100% remotely for the time being, our company culture and values remain at the core of everything we do. We are offering a number of remote-friendly activities such as:
- Virtual trivia
- Zoom meditation, stretching, and fitness sessions
- Daily remote challenges via Slack
- Virtual “Prodigy Prepares” cooking series featuring our very own employees!
- Remote work employee budget for things like home office equipment etc.
- Feel like working from home ? Prodigy is office optional!
- Team building events that not only include you as a Prodigy employee, but your significant other and children as well
- Company pizza lunch every second week for ‘All Hands’, where we discuss important Prodigy milestones
- Do you need some fun to help break up your day? We have that covered! Join in some Ping Pong games, Smash Bros competitions or board games!
Come as you are. We believe the power of our collective potential will transform education. We are building towards a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace to empower and create access and opportunity for all. We welcome applications from people from all underrepresented groups, including (but not limited to) people of any gender, age, or religion, members of the LGBTQIA2+ community, BIPOC and other underrepresented races and nationalities, people with disabilities, veterans, and anyone who may contribute to the further diversification of Prodigy Education. If you feel like you don’t have all the qualifications for this position, and are willing to use your initiative to learn the rest, we’d still love for you to apply! We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Prodigy Game will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.