We’re looking for a
Senior DevOps Engineer
- Here at Prodigy, we are working hard to achieve our mission of helping every child in the world to LOVE learning
- Our Engineering teams are scaling rapidly as we continue to hit our product and growth milestones, and it’s an exciting time for the company! To continue our exponential growth, we are adding some more development talent to our Engineering teams
- As a Senior DevOps Engineer at Prodigy, we would be looking at you to both design and develop scalable infrastructure, keeping a strong focus on performance, reliability, health, security, and scalability, while bridging important communication gaps to enable us to ship faster, and better so that we can give all children access to fun math education.
- As part of moving towards achieving our targets, members of the team were able to investigate, implement and contribute to the latest tooling available on open-source and CNCF including: Kubernetes, Envoy/Istio, Helm, Prometheus, Harbor, Flux-CD, Skaffold, Kaniko, FluentD, GitHub Actions and many more.
- During the last year the team was successfully able to build a scalable Kubernetes platform, which was used to host a private artifacts repository to which company packages and artifacts were migrated. Our Kubernetes infrastructure is also being used as a platform for improving developer experience by automating the creation of test and preview environments with a combination of Helm and Skaffold.
- Such was the exposure and opportunities to interact with the open-source community, team members have had the opportunity to contribute to open-source tools used - tailoring the tools to our company requirements, while also building on top by developing our Prodigy-made solutions for our infrastructure and DevOps challenges.
- Design, implement and deploy complex Kubernetes and AWS-based workloads from initial architecture and design through development, testing, and deployment
- Implement, maintain, and improve application/system monitoring to help identify key performance metrics
- Drive visibility and continuous improvement of our delivery pipelines
- Design, document, and build systems to automate away operational problems
- Provide support for the engineering teams by troubleshooting and resolving software, pipeline and infrastructure-related issues with an eye to automating those issues away
- Explore and evaluate new and emerging software tools, technologies and practices
- Perform system administration tasks, such as configuration management, creating and maintaining Infrastructure as Code (IaC) templates and supporting tools
- Disaster recovery design, implementation, and maintenance
Who You Are:
- 5+ years in a formal DevOps SME role, preferably in high traffic/volume environments
- 7+ years of Unix/Linux administration experience in scalable, secure, transactional development, QA and production environments
- A strong desire to automate everything, including processes and infrastructure
- Working experience building, configuring and deploying applications to Kubernetes and AWS
- Proficiency on the command line with a good knowledge of various Linux utilities for debugging and automation purposes
- Strong sense for developing with modern architecture principles (e.g. Infrastructure as Code, Immutable/Disposable/Replaceable Infrastructure, Automate-all-the-things)
- Experience with relational and non-relational databases (MySQL, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, RedShift)
- Experience scaling multi-threaded web applications
- Solid understanding of information/cloud security best practices
- Experience installing and configuring various monitoring solutions
- Hands-on experience providing support to Engineers, i.e. troubleshooting failed builds, troubleshooting dev/qa/prod issues
Our Core Technologies:
- Kubernetes on EKS, Helm, FluxCD, Prometheus, Istio, Skaffold
- AWS extensively, ALB, ECS, Cloudfront
- RDS, Aurora and Redshift, Postgresql, SNS/SQS, Kinesis Streams and Firehose, Dynamodb, AWS Managed Elasticsearch, Elasticache Redis, S3
- Lambda, API Gateway
- Terraform for IaC
- GitHub Actions, CircleCI, Codebuild and Codepipeline for CI/CD
- Datadog monitoring, logs and APM
- Sentry for error tracking
- Dockerized Node.js, Python, Go and Ruby applications
Bonus Points For:
- AWS platform experience (a lot more than just launching a couple of EC2 instances)
- Certifications relevant to AWS and cloud technologies (Solutions Architect, SysOps Administrator, Developer)
- Certifications for CKAD, CKA
- Experience with Node.js, Python, Go or Ruby
- Experience with Docker and container orchestrators like Kubernetes
- Experience with large scale web applications
- Experience with asynchronous applications and tools such as Kafka, SQS, RabbitMQ
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to build a career of value and witness first hand the impact Prodigy has as the most engaging math platform in the world!
- A culture of transparency, where team members are involved in important conversations
- No micromanaging here! We believe in our employees skills and abilities, we encourage you to bring new innovative ideas to your team
- Full health benefits from day one (1) for you and your family, fully covered! Nothing is ever taken off your pay cheque
- We are a profitable company, with eligibility to participate in stock options for all employees
- Late or early riser? We understand! We offer flexible working hours that allow you to schedule your 8 hour day with a bit more flexibility. We do have core office hours, to ensure team members can be present for important meetings and department needs. Our core office hours are 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Virtual trivia
- Zoom meditation, stretching, and fitness sessions
- Daily remote challenges via Slack
- Virtual “Prodigy Prepares” cooking series featuring our very own employees!
- Remote work employee budget for things like home office equipment etc.
- Feel like working from home ? Prodigy is office optional!
- Team building events that not only include you as a Prodigy employee, but your significant other and children as well
- Company pizza lunch every second week for ‘All Hands’, where we discuss important Prodigy milestones
- Do you need some fun to help break up your day? We have that covered! Join in some Ping Pong games, Smash Bros competitions or board games!
Come as you are. We believe the power of our collective potential will transform education. We are building towards a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace to empower and create access and opportunity for all. We welcome applications from people from all underrepresented groups, including (but not limited to) people of any gender, age, or religion, members of the LGBTQIA2+ community, BIPOC and other underrepresented races and nationalities, people with disabilities, veterans, and anyone who may contribute to the further diversification of Prodigy Education. If you feel like you don’t have all the qualifications for this position, and are willing to use your initiative to learn the rest, we’d still love for you to apply! We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Prodigy Game will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.