We’re looking for a
Senior Backend Developer (Game)
- As a Senior Game Backend Developer, you will be responsible for helping scale our game to host 150 000+ users. You will advocate for quality, scalability, and consistently deliver high performance.
- You will be responsible for architecting, developing and maintaining server side features to serve and empower our game.
- Provide input on technical design, services architecture, and product features
- Research, evaluate and analyze technical and design requirements
- Support and coach team members; enabling them to improve the product, ship code faster, and support their growth.
- Work cross-functionally with an agile team including Product, Art, Game Design, Development, and QA
- Support and input on technical priorities for overall game backend architecture and company APIs, enabling the team to better support the end-product.
- Collaborate with technical leads and product owners to gather and prioritize project requirements.
- Subject matter expert, providing: guidelines, best practices and training to other individuals
- Apply your engineering and management skills through the full technical development lifecycle; including idea generation, requirements elicitation and definition, implementation and performance analysis.
Who You Are:
- Proficient knowledge of a backend programming language (Node.js Python, Ruby, PHP, Java, .NET)
- Solid experience writing RESTful API endpoints
- Passion for user experience, performance, and uptime
- Knowledge of relational databases (PostgreSQL, MSSQL, etc.)
- Experience working with NoSQL databases (DynamoDB, Redis, MongoDB, etc.)
- Knowledge of security best practices
- Ability to collaborate with product designers and frontend developers
- A love for learning and staying on top of the latest in web development
- Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
Bonus Points For:
- Ability to work with other programming languages
- Experience working with ElasticSearch or other search technologies
- Game industry experience
- Experience with AWS technologies - EC2, RDS, Redshift, Firehose, etc.
- Familiarity with ES6 and beyond
- Experience with unit testing and testing frameworks
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to build a career of value and witness first hand the impact Prodigy has as the most engaging math platform in the world!
- A culture of transparency, where team members are involved in important conversations
- No micromanaging here! We believe in our employees skills and abilities, we encourage you to bring new innovative ideas to your team
- Full health benefits from day one (1) for you and your family, fully covered! Nothing is ever taken off your pay cheque
- We are a profitable company, with eligibility to participate in stock options for all employees
- Late or early riser? We understand! We offer flexible working hours that allow you to schedule your 8 hour day with a bit more flexibility. We do have core office hours, to ensure team members can be present for important meetings and department needs. Our core office hours are 10:30am - 3:00pm
- Virtual trivia
- Zoom meditation, stretching, and fitness sessions
- Daily remote challenges via Slack
- Virtual “Prodigy Prepares” cooking series featuring our very own employees!
- Remote work employee budget for things like home office equipment etc.
- Feel like working from home ? Prodigy is office optional!
- Team building events that not only include you as a Prodigy employee, but your significant other and children as well
- Company pizza lunch every second week for ‘All Hands’, where we discuss important Prodigy milestones
- Do you need some fun to help break up your day? We have that covered! Join in some Ping Pong games, Smash Bros competitions or board games!
Come as you are. We believe the power of our collective potential will transform education. We are building towards a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace to empower and create access and opportunity for all. We welcome applications from people from all underrepresented groups, including (but not limited to) people of any gender, age, or religion, members of the LGBTQIA2+ community, BIPOC and other underrepresented races and nationalities, people with disabilities, veterans, and anyone who may contribute to the further diversification of Prodigy Education. If you feel like you don’t have all the qualifications for this position, and are willing to use your initiative to learn the rest, we’d still love for you to apply! We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Prodigy Game will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require an accommodation, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.