We’re looking for a
Regulatory Compliance Legal Advisor (Remote)
- Expertise in US and European data protection laws and practices, as well as an understanding of the GDPR and CCPA/CPRA
- Ability to understand data collection methods and models
- Ensure compliance with regulations by working with internal stakeholders
- Provide Prodigy's stakeholders commercially minded legal opinion as it related to our external regulatory and compliance obligations.
- Prodigy will rely on you to lead the COPPA and FERPA compliance initiatives
- Interpret both acts as it relates to Prodigy's business model
- Define and communicate our fiduciary duties in relation to the acts
- Track and provide opinions on past and future legal precedents, as well as changes to legislation
- Assist internal and external stakeholders as needed as Prodigy's subject matter expert
- Staying on top of all emerging compliance and privacy trends to ensure Prodigy Education can plan effectively
- Regular contract reviews and vendor privacy impact assessments in accordance with ISO and CCPA/GDPR regulations
- Continually ensure Prodigy's public privacy and security policies are reviewed and updated
- Ability to evaluate risks to the company and articulate issues, develop consensus, raise awareness, and provide and implement solutions
- Support the planning and monitoring processes
- 3+ years experience with COPPA
- 3+ year experience with FERPA
- 2-3 years experience with operationalizing GDPR within a technology company
- 1+ years experience with CCPA legislation as it relates to a Canadian technology company
- A lawyer qualified to practice law in the province of Ontario
- Multi-task and work under pressure against tight deadlines and changing priorities
- Ability to work closely with diverse groups and styles of working
- Communication and organizational skills that are exceptional
- Ability to establish and maintain effective business relationships
Working at Prodigy
- Why Prodigy? Here at Prodigy, our employees are the foundation of our organization - an asset that transforms our mission into a reality! For this reason, we offer our employees a Total Rewards Program that is geared towards their financial, physical and mental well-being.
- Employees receive full health benefits from day one!
- Employee stock options and savings plan
- $500.00 to create your own work from home set-up
- We pride ourselves on constant learning, which is why we offer our employees an annual learning fund of $1200.00
- We value wellness, so in addition to wellness classes and benefits, we also offer an additional $720.00 fund to all employees
- Flexibility to choose whether you work from home or in-office, based on what works best on any given day
- Flexible working hours
- Monthly “no meeting day” Tuesdays
- Extended long weekends throughout the year!
- Want to work from anywhere in the world? We offer 4 weeks of "work from anywhere" per year!
Come as you are. We believe the power of our collective potential will transform education. We are building towards a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace to empower and create access and opportunity for all. We welcome applications from people from all underrepresented groups, including (but not limited to) people of any gender, age, or religion, members of the LGBTQIA2+ community, BIPOC and other underrepresented races and nationalities, people with disabilities, veterans, and anyone who may contribute to the further diversification of Prodigy Education. If you feel like you don’t have all the qualifications for this position and are willing to use your initiative to learn the rest, we’d still love for you to apply! We are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to providing employment accommodation in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 (AODA). Prodigy Education will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodation, please notify us, and we will work with you to meet your needs.